It’s that time when one season ends and the other begins, but between this transition, there are always types of sicknesses and diseases that prevail. Cold and cough, and fever are common. While the flu was in the air for quite some time and still is, one new virus is increasing in kids especially and that is – Conjunctivitis.
Conjunctivitis is spreading rapidly and many cases are rising in kids. Don’t worry, here is everything you need to know about this infection.
What Is Conjunctivitis?
Inflammation or infection of the outer membrane of the eyeball and the inner eyelid. Conjunctivitis, or pink eye/red eye, is an irritation or inflammation of the conjunctiva, which covers the white part of the eyeball. It can be caused by allergies or bacterial or viral infections. Conjunctivitis can be extremely contagious and is spread by contact with eye secretions from someone who is infected.
What Are The Symptoms Of Conjunctivitis?
- Pink or red colour in the white of the eyes
- Swelling of the conjunctiva (the thin layer that lines the white part of the eye and the inside of the eyelid) and/or eyelids.
- Increased tear production.
- Feeling like a foreign body is in the eyes or an urge to rub the eyes
- Itching, irritation, and/or burning.
Two Types Of Conjunctivitis:
- Caused by allergy (dust, pollen)
- Changes in weather
- Itchy eyes/Sticky eyes (not very sick looking)
- Irritability but less pain
- Due to viruses and bacteria
- Very sick-looking eye
- Very painful
- White discharge
- Needs antibiotic drops
Preventive Measures To Avoid The Spread Of Conjunctivitis:
- Wear glasses (dark coloured optional)
- Use one-time-use tissues or napkins to wipe/clean your eyes
- Avoid touching the eyes
- Visit the doctor
Dr Nihar Parekh walks us through the dos & don’ts, preventive measures and what conjunctivitis is. Follow our Instagram for form informative and important videos like these.
By the way, he’s also talked to us about Dengue in Kids and you must definitely check t out. the numbers are just rising everywhere and we should keep our family protected.
Share this with fellow parents. It is very important information that many people need to know. Don’t forget to like & subscribe to our YouTube channel so you never miss a new video alert!