Get Your Family To Enjoy the Meals You Cook For Them – Sign up to get access to a FREE Summer Special Meal Plan, a Seasonal Grocery List & a Seasonal Recipe
Dates or Khajoor is a dry fruit that is packed with nutrition. Not only is it a heart-healthy food, but it also contains essential nutrients that your toddler/child needs for healthy growth and development. This is an ideal snack to give the kids before they leave for school or a sports activity giving them that extra burst of energy they need at that time.
Babies can be given dates once they turn 6 months old.
Dates are an excellent source of sugar and fibre. It also contains calcium, iron, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium and zinc.
There are loads of benefits of including dates in your family’s meal plan.
Benefits of Dates For Kids
- Helps with constipation
- Rich source of iron so prevents anaemia in children
- High in dietary fibre
- Great for brain development
- Relief from constipation
Celebrity Holistic Nutritionist Luke Coutinho On Why Dates Are A Must-have
Watch what he has to say
We have shared some recipes below that kids would love. Like what you see? Don’t forget to sign up for KSP Meal Plans for curated meal ideas delivered straight to your inbox!
- 1 Cup Walnuts
- 1 Cup Dates, pitted and chopped
- ¼ Cup Almonds
- ¼ Cup Cashews
- 2 Tbsp. Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Icing Sugar for dusting
- In a mixer jar, coarsely pulse the walnuts and almonds. Then add the chopped dates.
- Pulse for 10 seconds and remove into a greased bowl. (Grease a bowl with 2-3 drops of butter) Then add the semi-sweet chocolate chips. Mix gently.
- Smear your hands with a drop of butter and then start rolling the mix into golf size balls.
- Roll the balls in the icing sugar and coat them evenly
- Place each ball in a muffin liner and place in the fridge for 4-5 minutes.
- Your healthy snack is ready.